Tuesday, March 29, 2011
2011 MLB Predictions
AL East- New York Yankees
The Red Sox had the better off season, but the Yankees still have the better team. The Yankees have the best offense and bullpen in baseball, and I think their rotation problems are a bit exaggerated. Ivan Nova should hold down the #4 spot, and they'll probably add another starter through trade at some point during the season. The X-factor is A.J. Burnett returning to his 2009 form. Boston has some pitch problems themselves, after a mediocre season from John Lackey, and Josh Beckett pitching almost as bad as Burnett in 2010. Not to mention Matsuzaka walking the world, and a lack of depth should they suffer an injury. Boston is very good and would win any other division, but the Yankees are just better than them. (And just so you know, I'm a huge Yankees homer)
AL Central- Minnesota Twins
This was the toughest division to pick. I think the White Sox have a playoff caliber team, but I just think the Twins are a little bit better. Both teams have rock solid rotations 1-5, and pretty good line ups, I just think the Twins are a little deeper, and I don't have any faith in Jake Peavy.
AL West- Oakland Athletics
I'm not enamored with Texas's starting rotation,and I think there are some soft spots in their line up. Oakland is probably the best team at run prevention in the AL, and I think the additions of Josh Willingham, David Dejesus and Hideki Matsui should make their horrendous offense a respectable one.
AL Wild Card- Boston Red Sox
Like I said earlier, the Rede Sox are a strong team. Their biggest competition for this spot will be the White Sox, and I think the Rays could give them a run for their money too, as their starting rotation remains a strong suit.
NL East- Atlanta Braves
Philly may have the 4 horsemen, but I have concerns about their offense (which will be magnified with Chase Utley out) and their bullpen (which will be magnified with Brad Lidge out.) Atlanta has maybe the best offense in the NL, a lights out bullpen and a solid, deep rotation.
NL Central- Cincinnati Reds
The Reds led the NL in runs scored last year, and I expect them to be just as good if not better this year. They have a very strong rotation with a lot of depth, and their bullpen should be strong as well with Chad Cordero and Aroldis Chapman. They'll just squeak by the Brewers who finished last year strong and added Zack Greinke and Shawn Marcum to their pitching staff.
NL West- Colorado Rockies
The Rockies are notorious for their slow starts and strong finishes, but I think this is the year they finally start out strong and lead the NL West wire to wire. They have the best core of young players in the NL with Jiminez, Tulowitzki, and CarGo, and I think the supporting cast is strong enough to push them ahead of the defending world champion Giants.
NL Wild Card- Philadelphia Phillies
As I said before, the Phillies are a good team and have some problems, but I can't see them missing the playoffs all together. The Brewers and the Giants will be their main competition.
AL MVP: Alex Rodriguez 3B NYY
It's an odd year, he's finally healthy, and he's tearing the cover off the ball in spring training.
NL MVP: Prince Fielder 1B MIL
The Brewers are going to be in the playoff hunt all year, and I think Fielder is going to have a huge contract year.
AL Cy Young: David Price LHP TB
He came in second last year, although it may have been unwarranted, but I think he'll take another step forward and have a monster year.
NL Cy Young: Josh Johnson RHP FLA
He led the majors in FIP last year, and I think this year he'll pitch enough innings to match the Halladays and Jiminezs of the world in WAR.
AL ROY: Mike Moustakas 3B KC
The Royals' top prospect will eventually be given an every day role, and he'll put up some power numbers.
NL ROY: Freddie Freeman 1B ATL
He'll have an every day job from day 1, and I expect him to have a very solid year.
ALDS
MIN over BOS
NYY over OAK
NLDS
PHI over CIN
COL over ATL
ALCS
NYY over MIN
NLCS
COL over PHI
WS
NYY over COL
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I think, just based on last year, that the Yankees will have the best offense in 2011.
ReplyDeletehttp://theresastatforthat.blogspot.com/2011/03/were-yankees-best-offense-in-baseball.html